Wholesale Cotton Duck Canvas & Denier Fabric
Besides cotton duck canvas, we offer artist canvas, outdoor marine, awning, dyed fabrics, tent (tipi), truck tarp, and vinyl fabrics. Canvas Etc. buys factory direct in order to pass the savings on to our customers. We offer products that are:
- water repellent
- flame resistant
- mildew resistant
- and much more!
Please also visit us to view our free sewing tutorials. We work with several talented home-based seamstresses to make these videos that utilize many of our fabrics including duck canvas. Please sign up for our newsletter (at the bottom of this page) to get updates on our latest videos, coupons and new products.
How It’s Made
Please visit our page What is Cotton Duck Canvas? to get detailed answers on various textile related questions.
So, what is canvas? Duck is a strong, heavy textile available in a variety of weights and qualities. It’s woven as a plain-woven cotton fabric or a basket weave pattern. Canvas is often heavy, strong, and firm – like duck.
Canvas is commonly made from:
- synthetic fibers
- hemp (historically)
This versatile fabric is often used in awnings, slipcovers, boat covers, and home decor projects. Heavy plain-woven cotton creates a rustic yet practical look. It’s either plain or basket (Oxford) weave and could have a soft or firm hand.
We offer a full array of pre primed artist canvas rolls. From weights ranging from 7 oz/sq yd (pre-primed weight) to 18 oz/sq yd (pre-primed weight), you can find the right primed material for your project. All our pre-primed cloth is double coated with an acid free, acrylic gesso. All our primed canvas rolls are shipped in a cardboard tube to avoid creasing. The fabric arrives to you ready to be used on your next project!
Sunforger cloth is used for tipis, tents, and other camping gear. 100% cotton is breathable and strong. Sunforger cloth is used outdoors for covers, shelters, tarps, tipis, yurts. It is pre-shrunk, mildew resistant, rot resistant, UV resistant, flame resistant (optional). All Sunforger army cotton is made with A Grade premium yarns and sold by the yard or by the bolt. Need to buy Sunforger products in large quantities? Call us to setup a wholesale account and we will offer you factory direct pricing.
What are the Basic Weaves for Canvas?
- Basket weave-type is a plain weave where two or more yarns travel together in the warp direction while two more yarns get inserted together in the fill direction (ballistic nylon).
- Plain weave is a weave where one yarn travels in the warp direction while another yarn is inserted in the fill direction. (Click these links for some of our wholesale cotton products => army ducks, Sunforger, numbered duck.)
What are Greige (Gray, Grey) Goods?
This is not to be confused with color. In the textile industry during manufacturing, this describes unfinished, loom-state woven or knitted goods. Please call us to inquire about wholesale cotton fabric prices.
What are Different Types of Finishes?
- Water Repellent: A treatment that enables the textile to repel water but does not make it completely waterproof.
- Waterproof: Will resist leakage and wetting even under a heavy shower.
- Mold and Mildew: A finish to prevent the growth of mold or fungus on cellulosic and protein-based textiles. Mold and mildew is also known to damage synthetic fibers.
- Flame-Retardant Finish: Textiles can me made flame resistant by using inherently flame-resistant fibers, by adding flame resistant chemicals to the spinning solution when the fiber is made, or by applying a chemical to the fabric. Flame retardant textiles should be durable (able to withstand up to 50 washes), non-toxic and non-carcinogenic. In most cases, the hand and texture of the textile product remains the same.
Duck Canvas vs Denier for Outdoor Tents?
A big question we constantly get is what type of material is to be used for an outdoor tent. More important that the fabric used is the environment it will be used in and the duration it will be exposed to the elements. For wall tents (hunting) in the Midwest that have lower humidity levels, a cotton product would be ideal (or even Sunforger canvas).
Cotton tents with no weather treatment should always be covered with a vinyl tarp, but make sure there is an inch or two gap between the cotton and the vinyl. A wall tent in Montana in the middle of winter would most likely be made of Sunforger army cloth. Sunforger canvas is already weather proofed, but it’s still breathable. The inside of a wall tent should be dry and warm in the winter, and if a vinyl tent is used in this situation there will be moisture build up due to condensation on the inside.
How Did Numbered Ducks Get Their Numbers (#’s)?
In the old days, most numbered ducks were woven to 22″ standard width. The numbering system of ducks (#1, #6, #12, etc.) comes from subtracting the weight of one 1 linear yard by 22″ width of the fabric from 19. Number 12 was roughly 12 oz/sq yd so a linear yard at 22″ weighs roughly 7.33 (round down to 7). Subtract 7 from 19 and you get 12, hence Number 12 duck.