Wholesale cotton canvas duck cloth and denier fabric
Besides cotton duck cloth, we offer artist canvas, outdoor marine, awning, dyed, tent(tipi), truck tarp, and vinyl fabrics. We buy factory direct and pass these savings on to our customers. We offer products with water repellency, flame resistance, mildew resistance, anti-UV, coatings and much more.
Please also visit us to view our free sewing tutorials. We work with a number of talented home based seamstresses to make these videos. Please sign up for our newsletter to get updates on new videos, coupons and new products.
Please visit our page- What is cotton duck cloth? to get detailed answers on various textile related questions.
What is canvas?
Duck is a strong, heavy textile available in a variety of weights and qualities. It’s woven in either a plain or basket weave pattern.
Heavy, strong, firm fabric similar to duck. It’s usually made of cotton, synthetic or acrylic and is used in awnings, slipcovers, and boat covers. It’s either plain or basket (oxford) weave and could have a soft or firm hand.
We offer a a full array of pre primed artist canvas rolls. From weights ranging from 7 oz/sq yd(pre primed weight) to 18 oz/sq yd(pre primed weight), you can find the right primed material for your project. All our pre primed cloth is double coated with an acid free, acrylic gesso. All our primed canvas rolls are shipped on a cardboard tube to avoid creasing.
Sunforger cloth used for tipis and tents. 100% cotton which is breathable and strong. Sunforger cloth is used outdoors for covers, shelters, tarps, tipis, yurts. It is pre-shrunk, mildew resistant, rot resistant, UV resistant, flame resistant(optional). All sunforger army cotton is made with A grade premium yarns, and sold by the yard or by the bolt. Need to buy sunforger products in large quantities, call us to setup a wholesale account and we will offer you factory direct pricing.
What are the basic weaves?
- Basket weave-type of plain weave where two or more yarns travel together in the warp direction while 2 ore more yarns get inserted together in the fill direction (ballistic nylon).
- Plain weave-a weave where 1 yarn travels in the warp direction while another yarn is inserted in the fill direction (Click these links for some of our wholesale cotton products => army ducks, sunforger, numbered duck).
What are greige (gray, grey) goods?
This is not to be confused with color. In the textile industry(the weaving part), this describes unfinished, loom-state woven or knitted goods. Please call us to inquire about wholesale cotton fabric prices.
What are different types of finishes?
- Water repellent- a treatment that enables the textile to repel water, but does not make it completely water proof.
- Water proof- will resist leakage and wetting even under a heavy shower.
- Mold and Mildew- a finish to prevent the growth of mold or fungus on cellulosic and protein based textiles. Mold and mildew is also known to damage synthetic fibers.
- Flame-retardant finish- textiles can me made flame resistant by using inherently flame resistant fibers, by adding flame resistant chemicals to the spinning solution when the fiber is made, or by applying a chemical to the fabric. Flame retardant textiles should be durable(able to withstand up to 50 washes), non-toxic and non-carcinogenic. In most cases the hand and texture of the textile product remains the same.
Duck cloth vs Denier for outdoor tents?
A big question we constantly get is what type of material is to be used for an outdoor tent. More important that the fabric used is the environment it will be used in and the duration it will be exposed to the elements. For wall tents (hunting) in the midwest that have lower humidity levels, a cotton product would be ideal (or even Sunforger Canvas). Cotton tents with no weather treatment should always be covered with a vinyl tarp, but make sure there is an inch or two gap between the cotton and the vinyl. A wall tent in Montana in the middle of winter would most likely be made of Sunforger army cloth. Sunforger canvas is already weather proofed, but it’s still breathable. The inside of a wall tent should be dry and warm in the winter, and if a vinyl tent is used in this situation there will be moisture build up due to condensation on the inside.
How did number ducks get their numbers (#’s)?
In the old days most numbered ducks were woven to 22″ standard width. The numbering system of ducks (#1, #6, #12 etc.) comes from subtracting the weight of 1 linear yard by 22″ width of the fabric from 19. Number 12 was roughly 12 oz/sq yd so a linear yard at 22″ weighs roughly 7.33 (round down to 7). Subtract 7 from 19 and you get 12, hence Number 12 duck.