Our Lightweight 70 denier nylon ripstop FR in red is ideal for manufacturing windbreakers, rain jackets, ponchos, flags, banners, liners, light use equipment covers. Manufacturers coat one side with polyurethane, and very easy to work with. Indeed, 70 denier ripstop has very high water repellent and waterproof ratings and is available in a number of colors. This fabric is treated with a flame resistant chemical and passes CPAI 84 FR standards.
Did you know?
- Manufacturers create polyurethane coated nylon by adding a semi-liquid material to a fabric structure.
- Manufacturers create urethane coated nylon – a stronger and more stable fabric compared to uncoated denier fabric.
- Coated nylon fabrics are used in upholstery, luggage, bags and apparel. If used in apparel, tiny holes punched in the fabric improve its breathability.
The Benefits of Denier Nylon
Nylon oxford fabric features: Water-repellent, somewhat waterproof, mildew resistant, good tear strength, flame resistant, long lasting, easy to sew, easy to seam and fold. Therefore, extremely versatile for use in a number of end products.
Red Ripstop Features
Weight: 2.6 oz/ sq yd
Width (inches): 58|60″
Content: 100% High Tenacity Nylon 6
Coating: 3/4 oz Polyurethane
Finish: Durable Water Repellent, Wind resistant, UV resistant
Yarn: 70 Denier Nylon
Weave: Ripstop pattern
Thread: Bonded Polyester
Tensile Strength: 90 x 90 lbF (ASTM D5034 WxF)
Tearing Strength: 2 x 2 lbF (ASTM D2261 WxF)
Hydrostatic Resistance: 150 lbs/sq in (ASTM D751)
pH: 5-8 (AATCC 81)
Air Perm: 0 cubic feet per min (ASTM D737)
Water Repellency (Spray Initial): 90 Min (AATCC 22)
Colorfastness to Laundering (color change): 4.0 (AATCC 61 2A)
FR: CPAI 84
Red Ripstop FR Projects
Sewing projects utilizing ripstop are versatile. The material makes handling and sewing more complex than some other fabrics. But once you learn to use it, you can create some of these amazing, useful projects:
Backpacks: School bags and camping packs need the waterproof strength of ripstop. With the right shoulder straps and support, ripstop bags are capable of supporting a lot of weight. So, it is perfect for college and high school students.
Backpack Covers: Anyone who uses a backpack benefits from a backpack cover. For campers, it offers an extra layer of protection from rain and snow. For commuters, a backpack cover is capable of protecting laptops and papers from precipitation.
Indoor Equipment Covers: Large tool, car or furniture covers may be fashioned from ripstop nylon.
Jackets & Windbreakers: Ripstop is used often for outerwear. The fabric is light yet strong. Wind cannot even pass through it! Due to its lightweight, ripstop is easily folded into a bag or pocket.
Parachutes: Parachutes utilize ripstop nylon due to its lightweight, tight-woven attributes. Parachutes and kites alike are preferably made with ripstop.
Reusable Grocery Bags: This easy project conveniently gives you non-plastic options for your shopping. These bags fold up easily into pockets, purses and glove boxes for your convenience.
Sleeping Bags: Extra quilts for camping are helpful in cold weather. These lightweight sleeping quilts are easy to carry and protect against water and wind.
Tarps & Rain-flys: For tents and hammocks, rain-flys keep moisture out of sleeping areas. They are easy to create and use!
Tents & Shelters: Create tents and shelters for backyard fun or intense camping trips. Many complex projects require advanced sewing skills.
Quick Tips for Working with Ripstop FR
Here are some quick tips for working with nylon ripstop fabric. For an in-depth guide, check out our blog.
- Use freshly sharpened scissors or a rotary fabric cutter to reduce fraying of the fabric.
- Burn your edges or seams for a sturdy seal. Remember to exercise extreme caution when attempting this technique.
- Practice your sewing stitches on ripstop! Use zigzag stitches can help keep your seams from breaking when the fabric stretches.
- Want to keep your fabric from moving? Use double sided tape rather than straight pins to keep your fabric from moving around as you sew.
Do you have questions about this product? Contact our fabric experts today.