#8 Canvas Duck Fabric | 36″ Width
Our canvas duck fabric is used in a variety of industrial and craft applications. This fabric meets Mil-C CCC-419-G federal standards. We can also finish these goods to any mil-spec required.
Uses of #8/ 18 ounce per square yard Canvas Duck Fabric
- Floor Cloths
- Place Mats
- Tool Bags
- Tote bags
- Duffel bags
- Sand bags
- Archery targets
- Bed rolls
- Gun covers
- Filter bags
- Boxing ring mats
- Much more
Duck Fabric Features
Weight: 18 ounces per square yard
Width (inches): 36, 48, 60, 72, 84 (many options)
Content: 100% Cotton
Discover our Canvas Fabrics.
Cotton duck is a term that originates from the Dutch word “doek.” It has been referred to throughout time in other and numerous terms, such as: simply “duck,” or “duck cloth” and even “duck canvas.” A plain woven (also called tabby weave) textile weave, it is strong and hard-wearing, and is used as a furnishing and fashion fabric. Duck is a heavy cotton fabric that is tightly woven, more so than simple plain canvas.
Duck fabric is woven with two yarns together in the warp and a single yarn in the weft. Warp and weft are the 2 components used in weaving where the horizontal thread (the weft) transverses the vertical warp thread in an over and then under process, and again, producing a very tightly woven fabric.
Cotton duck has been used in a broad range of applications throughout time, from artist painting canvases, to tents and tipi’s, tarp, shoes and sailboat main sails, enclosure coverings, to tote bags and backpacks.
According to weight in a numerical system, Duck is classified in a manner such that grade 1 is the heaviest and grade 12 is the lightest variety. Numbered duck is numerically created and identified in weights from 1 to 12, but numbers 7, 9, and 11 are no longer used. Some typical uses of various grades (with weights in ounces) are:
- 1 (30 ounces per square yard or 1,000 grams per square meter): ideal for floor & wall covering, sound absorption, covers for equipment, heavy bags, storage bins, horse packs.
- 2 (28 ounces per square yard or 950 grams per square meter): enclosure or hatch tarps/ tarpaulins
- 3 (26 ounces per square yard or 880 grams per square meter): bags that can withstand the tough maritime elements at sea
- 4 (24 ounces per square yard or 810 grams per square meter): work clothes that are heavy duty/ rugged wear clothes, hammocks, director chairs, sand bags, place mats, material for belts
- 5 (23 ounces per square yard or 780 grams per square meter): heavy duty work clothes, rugged wear
- 6 (21 ounces per square yard or 710 grams per square meter): multi-purpose utility bags, place mats, material for belts
- 8 (18 ounces per square yard or 610 grams per square meter): backpacks, painters drop cloth, tipi’s, tents, clothes bags, tarps, outdoor awnings, work clothes
- 10 (14.75 ounces per square yard or 500 grams per square meter): shower curtains, artist canvas, murals, painters drop cloth, floor coverings, clothes, hammocks
- 12 (11.5 ounces per square yard or 390 grams per square meter): stretched artist canvas, light clothes, furniture slip covers, slipcovers of any kind
*Fabrics are mostly water and flame resistant, but sometimes water and flame proof depending on how long the fabric is exposed to those conditions*