Tan Canvas – 10.10 oz Army Duck | Field Tan 58/60″ Width
Waxed tan canvas fabric for sale for bags, luggage, totes, and other adventure gear. This fabric is durable and meant to last! Unlike our Pyrosnuff and Canvak coating, the tough wax on this fabric won’t rub off as easily.
Use waxed tan canvas for many years without washing. Darker colors tend not to soil or stain as easily as lighter colors. If soiling does occur, do not launder, or use detergent to wash this fabric. Tan canvas fabrics should be treated like leather: spot clean with a hose, soft scrub brush or damp cloth. For stubborn stains use saddle soap, or flake soap (not detergent) will do the trick. NEVER use detergent (liquid or powdered) or even dry clean.
The fabric is incredibly strong, durable and resilient. Customers often use waxed canvas for the manufacture of industrial covers because it withstands harsh weather conditions.
Tan Waxed Canvas Fabric for Sale Uses
- Tarps: Tarps benefit from canvas because of the water repellent nature of the fabric and coating. Tarps may be used to cover boats, motorcycles, cars, or even equipment or building materials kept outdoors.
- Backpacks: Waxed canvas backpacks are making a comeback in a big way. These bags look rugged, can take a good beating, and keep whatever is within from becoming wet. Commuters love waxed canvas backpacks.
- Saddle bags: As an alternative to pricey leather, canvas makes great saddle bags for motorcycles or bicycles. They are as durable as leather and can take a fall or storage outdoors while keeping contents safe.
- Luggage: Like all bags, luggage takes a good beating. Canvas treated with wax, when applied and sealed properly, can withstand travel. Luggage made from waxed canvas also looks great.
- Adventure Packs: Like backpacks, adventure packs need to be able to withstand the rigors of travel, camping and hiking.
- Other Outdoor Gear: If you have a need for outdoor coverage from the elements, check out waxed canvas. The possibilities and versatility of this amazing fabric is more beneficial and affordable than alternatives.
Waxed Tan Canvas for Sale Features
Weight: 13.5 oz/ sq yd, base fabric weight 10.10 oz, wax add-on ~ 3.5 oz/ sq yd
Width (inches): 58 | 60
Content: 100% Cotton Army Duck Canvas
Color: Field Tan
Finish: Tough wax finish
Other Fabric Features: water repellent, mildew resistant, rugged, long lasting, strong.
Do not dry clean, launder, or use detergent. Clean with garden hose, soft scrub brush or damp cloth. Iron on low heat with a thin cloth barrier between the fabric and the iron. For heavy stains use saddle soap.
Our waxed cotton duck fabrics can be finished in different widths, weights and colors. To do this we have to run full dye lots. If you have a custom project that needs a lighter weight or heavier weight cotton duck, please feel free to call us regarding wholesale pricing and dye lots.
Working with Tan Canvas
As with so many heavy fabrics, you will want to keep you sewing machine, needles and scissors sharp and clean. You will need a heavy duty needle, like a 100/16 or 100/16 to do the job. A good foot on the sewing machine will also help keep clean lines.
When pressing and pinning your waxed canvas in preparation for sewing, pin with care because holes may show after your project is completed. If possible, use fabric clips instead.
Once your project is complete, be sure to clean your machine and work-space well. Waxed tan canvas can leave a buildup of wax that you will not want transferred onto other projects in the future.
Did You Know?
Original waxed cotton duck fabrics were used in England and Scotland as sails. Egyptians used linseed oil as their wax to create waxed canvas. Problem problems arise with waxed canvas when the weather gets cold – it becomes stiff.
For a little history on waxed cotton duck, check out Wikipedia.
We are often asked, “what is the difference between canvas and duck?” They are actually terms used interchangeably. Officially, canvas is defined as a strong fabric. Duck, however, is often spun polyester or cotton available in many weights.
Not sure if waxed canvas is right for your next project? Contact us today to speak to one of our fabric experts.