Lightweight 70 denier ripstop gridcloth Flame Retardant is ideal for diffusion lighting, photography and stage lighting. Manufacturers coat one side of ripstop gridcloth FR with polyurethane to make it very easy to work with. Indeed, 70 denier ripstop has very high water repellent and waterproof ratings and is available in a number of colors. We proudly offer this ideal diffusion material by the roll of 100 yards per color.
Did you know?
- Polyurethane coated nylon is made by adding a semi-liquid material to a fabric structure.
- Manufacturers create urethane coated nylon – a stronger and more stable fabric compared to uncoated denier fabric.
- Coated nylon fabrics are used in upholstery, luggage, bags and apparel. If used in apparel tiny holes are punched in the fabric to improve it’s breathability.
Black Ripstop Gridcloth FR Features
Weight: 2.6 oz/sq yd
Width (inches): 58″ | 60″
Content: 100% High Tenacity Nylon 6
Coating: 3/4 oz Polyurethane
Finish: Durable Water Repellent, Win resistant, UV resistant
Yarn: 70 Denier Nylon
Weave: Ripstop pattern diffusion material
Thread: Bonded Polyester
Tensile Strength: 90 x 90 lbF (ASTM D5034 WxF)
Tearing Strength: 2 x 2 lbF (ASTM D2261 WxF)
Hydrostatic Resistance: 150 lbs/sq in (ASTM D751)
pH: 5-8 (AATCC 81)
Air Perm: 0 cubic feet per min (ASTM D737)
Water Repellency (Spray Initial): 90 Min (AATCC 22)
Colorfastness to Laundering (color change): 4.0 (AATCC 61 2A)
FR: CPAI 84
Check out these tips for sewing ripstop nylon.
Uses for Grid Cloths & Other Diffusion Fabrics
- Butterfly: This refers to diffusion fabric that stretches over a frame. A butterfly lights your subject or object specifically for high-end lighting scenes.
- Light Box: A light box comes in different sizes depending on its intended use. Photographers use them for photographing or recording product images (for e-commerce, for instance). This material is an ideal diffusion material.
- Softbox: A softbox is set to light direct positions. Soft boxes extend harsh, bright lights and make them soft lights for photographing small objects.
- Tenting: Tenting surrounds your subject or object with soft light. Therefore, some draping techniques remove all shadows from the subject.
Quick Tips for Working with Ripstop Gridcloth FR
Here are some quick tips for working with nylon ripstop fabric. For an in-depth guide, check out our blog.
- Use freshly sharpened scissors or a rotary fabric cutter to reduce fraying of the fabric.
- Burn your edges or seams for a sturdy seal. Remember to exercise extreme caution when attempting this technique.
- Practice your sewing stitches on ripstop! Use zigzag stitches can help keep your seams from breaking when the fabric stretches.
- Want to keep your fabric from moving? Use double sided tape rather than straight pins to keep your fabric from moving around as you sew.
Do you have questions about this product? Contact our fabric experts today.